Samantha Burdick

Free tuition on the horizon

President Obama is working to create a program to give students who meet certain qualifications the first two years of community college free.

The America’s College Promise proposal would offer free tuition if students are enrolled in school at least part-time and are able to maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher. The government would cover 75 percent of the cost of community college under the current proposition. The states would pick up the remaining 25 percent.

Some students use community college as a stepping-stone to transfer credits to a four-year university, save money or help prepare to study at a larger school.

America’s College Promise could benefit nine million students each year if it is enacted, according to the White House website.

Subscribe to RSS - Samantha Burdick