Bobcats break even at home against non-conference teams


Sports Reporter

Photo by: 

Lauren Prater, freshman forward, fights for the ball against UTEP Sept. 15 at Bobcat Soccer Complex. Texas State lost 0–1.

The Texas State soccer team snapped a three-game winless streak Friday by beating Sam Houston State, but came up short Sunday to Texas-El Paso.

“We started off a little shaky,” said Coach Kat Conner. “We came out trying to do some different things and didn’t stick to the game plan. I’m really proud of the Bobcats on how they responded in the second half. We kept our composure and even got a little mad.”

The Bobcats shot 59 percent on goal compared to the Bearkats who shot 37 percent on goal. The team shot the ball 10 times in the first half and 12 times in the second. The ball club had the advantage on corner kicks, 11-4.

“We really were better at our flank play—that’s what we knew was our best bet to get in the net,” said junior midfielder Jourdan Brown. “Since I am an outside mid(fielder) it was exciting to see some opportunities.”   

Brown had one shot on goal and an assist to sophomore forward Lynsey Curry. The Bobcats’ defense gave up three shots in the second half with zero on goal.  

“The girl (from SHSU) got a great shot,” Conner said. “Natalie (Gardini) came up big time with a great save. (Gardini) has been working really hard, and I’m really proud of her.”

Freshman forward Clarissa Leon came off the bench and scored her first goal of the season. Senior forward Gabbi Cottee was credited with an assist to give the Bobcats a 1-1 tie in the 33rd minute.

Curry came off the bench in the second half and scored her team-leading fourth goal of the season. The Bobcats grabbed the lead and the victory, 2-1.

“(In the) second half we came ready to match Sam Houston’s intensity,” Conner said. “We knew they would come out ready to go. (Curry) came in, turned on a ball and got another great shot.”

Texas State tried to use the intensity it brought out against SHSU and the momentum of a win at home into the match with UTEP on Sunday.

The first half remained scoreless. It was not until the 86th minute of the second half the Miners scored the first goal of the game to take the lead and eventually take the victory, 1-0. Midfielder Aleah Davis received a pass from forward Jade Babcock to score the first goal for UTEP.

“The goal happened off a defender allowing her to cut back,” Conner said. “(If) you leave your spot, you cannot allow her to go back where you left. Our defender didn’t and opened up and allowed them to score.”

UTEP outshot the Bobcats 13-3. The Miners had five of those shots on goal compared to Texas State’s two. Senior midfielder Sydney Curry got a shot on goal within the first two minutes of the second half.

Texas State got in one more attempt to tie the game, but UTEP won in the closing minutes.

“The heart was there for us,” Conner said. “The physical play was there, what was not there was the mental game.”