Local organizations band together to fight poverty with hunger walk

By: 

Lifestyle Reporter

The San Marcos Food Bank hosted the Hays County Community Response to Overcome Poverty (C.R.O.P.) Hunger Walk April 12 to raise awareness of and funding to fight world hunger.

Mallory Raschke, event and social media coordinator, said event sponsor Church World Service (CWS) holds similar events all over the nation.

“It’s a global walk for a global cause,” Raschke said.

Carol Grimm, board member and chairman of the Hays County Food Bank (HCFB) fund development committee, said volunteers can join by making a donation or participating in the walk.

“(The event) is to represent food insecurity not only in the United States but the world over,” said Grimm. “We have to do a lot in terms of making (people) aware of our opportunities through publicity.”

Jayme Bisbano, Chris Gonzalez and Dean Thomas represented their organization, Mad Ape Media, in the event.  

“We wanted to come down here to the HCFB and do this walk,” Gonzalez said. “We wanted to get involved with the San Marcos community.”

Raschke said the occasion helps bring communities together and raises money for hunger relief.

“Every time you get people who care about something or is passionate about something, it becomes a good thing for the city,” Raschke said. “It shows the city we care about bigger issues.”

Grimm said the event lasts between one and two hours in the neighborhood near the food bank. She said volunteers were informed about local food and water conservation.

Grimm said the volunteers had the opportunity to view the gardens where food is grown for members of the community.

“(The Hays County Food Bank clients) just want people to see where the food bank is,” Grimm said. “Out here behind Dunbar Park is where the gardens are.”

Becky Allen, member of the San Marcos Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, held a discussion before the walk to inform participants on the impacts of wasting local resources.

Allen said organizations contribute to the walk by examining food impacts or gathering volunteers to celebrate the cause.  

“This crop walk invites people to look at food issues and the impacts our foods have on other people, animals and the environment,” Allen said. “Most people don’t have any idea when they eat something if it does have an impact on anything else.”

Raschke said the HCFB would get 25 percent of the funds collected. The other 75 percent would go to CWS to help fight world hunger and poverty.

Brian Ferguson, minister at the San Marcos Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, said not everyone has access to high-quality food.

Raschke said Hays County has 24,790 impoverished residents. HCFB raised $8,000 last year to benefit the community.

“We are helping a global issue,” Raschke said. “We hope to gain more participants and more awareness.”